The task of administering the estate of a loved one can seem insurmountable, especially at a time when you are still coming to terms with your loss.

I can help with as little or as much of the practicalities as you like. If you wish you can gather up and leave all the paperwork you can find with me, and I will sort through everything – or you might already have all the figures you need for the Grant of Probate and the tax return, and you just need some help with the final steps. The procedures can be quite complex, and there are certain protections available to the Executors of a estate – if you take the right steps.

The charge for obtaining the Grant of Probate (the court document) is fixed, whereas for estate administration an estimate will be provided from the outset, and the relevant hourly rate will be provided. If you prefer we can agree a fixed fee for certainty – it’s up to you.

Please feel free to contact us and I will talk you through your options – with no obligation of course.

Do I need Probate?

If you are faced with sorting out the affairs of someone who has died you will likely be faced with lots of different terminology, Probate being the most common. But what is Probate? Probate is a Court issued document which confirms that the person who is named, is the person legally entitled to deal with the affairs of the deceased person. It will enable you to encase investments, transfer property and generally deal with all the affairs of that person.

If you have been appointed executor whether you need to apply to the Court is usually dictated by the asset holders, and the value of the estate, For example a person who is acting for their own spouse, who held all property jointly with them, would probably not need to obtain a Grant of Probate. Children or other executors that are not spouses, would usually need to obtain it. If tax is payable, then a Grant of Probate is always required.

How much will it cost?

There are different levels of service, and different costs depending on the complexity of the estate. If you have already spoken to most of the assets holders and have all the figures you need known as ‘Probate values’, then you could decide to request help applying to the Court only, and this is a standalone service known as ‘Grant only’. Once we obtain the Grant for you, you would then encash the holdings yourself.

The other option is ‘full administration’ – this is where you identify the different banks and investments, provide the basic details of all holdings and let us do the rest. This involves obtaining valuations, making the Court application, preparing tax returns for inheritance tax and ensuring personal and estate taxation is taken care of. We would encash investments and distribute these to the beneficiaries. A complete service!

Read next



It is never an easy decision to make a Will and as a single parent I knew I had to do it, as I am certainly not getting any younger and had been meaning to do this for the last ten years and had not ever quite got around to doing it. One of the reasons was that I wanted someone I trusted to help me and I had looked at different solicitors  etc., but it seemed rather daunting. Then I met Kirsty, who with her friendly professionalism, explained everything  so clearly, it seemed obvious to choose The Deans Legal Services to write my Will. I am so glad I did! Throughout  the whole process…

AG, Woodingdean

Professional, personable and great value. Was dreading doing our will but Kirsty made the whole process pleasurable. Would recommend without hesitation ?

AF, Rottingdean

We used Deans legal services for our wills recently. I was really dreading doing a will as it’s a very difficult subject to talk about. As parents though we wanted to make sure our children would be looked after if anything did happen to us. Kirsty made the whole experience much easier than I thought. She put us both at ease and explained everything very simply. Very efficient and swift in drawing up the wills. Great communication and an overall enjoyable experience.

TL, Rottingdean